Tool & Die Maker - 2nd Shift
Menomonee Falls, WI
We are seeking an individual for the position of Tool & Die Maker. Under general supervision individuals will perform such duties as planning and performing all bench and required machine operations, to include prototype work; constructing or making alterations and repairs to production tools; and the building of jigs, fixtures, punches, dies, molds, gauges, templates or patterns. All work will involve a high degree of skill and thorough knowledge of tool building practices.
- Lay out work processes and sequences of operations required to fabricate specified tools.
- Identify the necessary materials as required or specified for the job.
- Setup and operate manual machines
- Assemble dies and fixtures and tryout tests.
- Perform inspection and tryout operations as specified for tooling and equipment.
- Must be able to work with complex CAD models, drawings for work that requires close tolerances.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Studies blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan operation sequences for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies; verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts using measuring instruments.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or G.E.D
- Certified journeyman for Tool and Die Making Required.
- Minimum of one year experience in metal stampings or tool room experience.
Knowledge, Skills Abilities and Competencies
- Experience with lathes, surface grinders and mills is required.
- Knowledge of CNC lathes, CNC mills and wire EDM.
- Must be able to understand and use shop mathematics and handbook formulas.
- Must be capable of using machine tools and hand tools to properly fit and assemble parts, repair or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools.
- Knowledge of G-Code, CAD/CAM and programing experience (Solid Works, Smart CAM, or Master CAM would be a plus).
- This position requires frequent walking and standing, and regular twisting, bending and lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Work Environment
- Safety glasses, hearing protection, and steel toed shoes with metatarsal protection required while in the plant.
- Exposure to noise, dirt, dust, oil and extremely sharp objects.