Quality Engineering Co-op
We are seeking an individual for the position of Quality Engineering Co-op. Engineering Co-op will be provided opportunities in the various engineering disciplines at Vollrath over the course of their schedule.
- Each student will begin their Co-op program in a two week rotational introduction across various functions. During this time they will be meeting people that they will be interfacing with for their assignment and be given exposure to a variety of engineering disciplines. This will set the foundation for the remainder of their assignment. Their orientation will involve:
- Industrial health and safety orientation
- Introduction to the various Production departments
- Design Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering overview
- Engineering Change Request (ECR) training
- Drawing generation
- Drawing review
- Tooling design
- Quality Engineering orientation including the metrology lab
- Engineering test lab and new product development
- Upon completion of this orientation, students will be partnered with an Engineer and assigned to a project based on the business need. The projects defined for the 2014 were:
- Quality Engineering: Implementation of a software based statistical process control (SPC) quality system on the manufacturing floor to replace the existing paper system. The software being deployed is Synergy 2000. Key elements of this assignment will involve:
- Print reviews to ensure part characteristics and tolerances are complete.
- Working with Quality Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers and Operators to validate accuracy of part prints and key process parameters.
- Validation of existing control plans as they are being converted into Synergy to ensure key characteristics are adequately controlled.
- Analysis of data from existing products already in the system to validate and improve product specifications.
- Creating the data tables to transition existing products into the new system.
- Provide training to operators on the use of the system.
- A verbal presentation at the end of the assignment to upper management regarding key elements of the project and the overall Co-op experience.
- The student work will focus on the needs of the project and will involve product/process design, problem solving, interaction with various disciplines, report development, and engineering change requests.
- Sophomore or later in ME, MET, EMSE curriculum
- GPA of 3.0 or higher