Operations Supervisor - Fabrication
We are seeking an individual for the position of Operations Supervisor. This position requires a self-motivated individual with a sense of urgency to supervise factory production and planning operations; a person who will work collaboratively with the rest of the organization to achieve the overall business objectives for his/her span of control; someone who will make data-driven decisions and utilize critical thinking including risk/reward trade-offs. This person will provide regular progress reports and summaries to all levels of the organization from the shop floor to Operations leadership.
- Maintains safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personnel on the use of all control points, equipment, and resources; maintaining compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Conducts regular safety discussions and audits with individuals and groups of employees.
- Completes production schedule by assigning personnel; accomplishing work results; establishing priorities; monitoring progress; revising schedules; resolving problems; reporting results of the processing flow on shift production summaries.
- Accomplishes manufacturing results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures accurate manufacturing information by compiling, initiating, sorting, analyzing and correcting production performance records and data; answering questions and responding to requests.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods; implementing cost reductions; developing reporting procedures and systems; facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
- Maintains quality service by following and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains working relationship with the union by following the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Ensures operation of equipment by calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Resolves personnel problems by analyzing data; investigating issues; identifying solutions; recommending action.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Provides coverage when other shift supervisors are off.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels of necessary supplies.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and Quality Control to keep documentation current
Proven track record of strong leadership and managerial skills. Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management. Must be able to effectively delegate and work collaboratively with other functional departments.
Bachelor’s degree in Operations Management or related field (preferred) – or – Associates degree in a technical or operations field and equivalent work experience with a demonstrated track record of success.
Five to seven (5 -7) years of experience in a manufacturing environment with a blended experience base in production, planning, and/or quality assignments.
One to three (1 - 3) years of experience directly managing people.
Strong background in lean manufacturing. A passion and ability to truly engage people at all levels of an organization. A balanced focus between processes and systems as well as achieving results. An understanding of fundamental lean principles such as standard work creation and use, value stream mapping, 5S, kaizen events, etc.
Proficient knowledge of ERP/MRP systems (JD Edwards preferred).
Experience working in a union environment (preferred).
Previous experience in metal and metal forming industry (preferred).