Manager of Quality - Sheboygan Operations
We are looking for a Manager of Quality for Sheboygan Operations. This position requires a self-motivated individual with a sense of urgency to oversee the Quality function for Vollrath’s Sheboygan manufacturing facility; a person who will work collaboratively with the rest of the organization to achieve overall business objectives for his/her span of control; someone who will make data-driven decisions and utilize critical thinking including risk/reward trade-offs, total lifecycle costs and benefits, and critical path timing; and an individual with strong communication skills (both written and verbal) to provide regular reports and summaries to all levels of the organization from the shop floor to the board room.
- Assures consistent quality of production by developing and enforcing best practice quality management systems; validating processes; providing documentation; managing staff.
- Leads team in maintaining and improving product quality by completing product, company, system, compliance, and surveillance audits; investigating customer complaints; collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and engineering designs, manufacturing and training methods.
- Leads communication with external customers regarding proactive or reactive quality issues and corrective actions.
- Achieves quality assurance operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Accomplishes quality assurance human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Develops quality assurance plans by conducting risk analyses; identifying critical control points and preventive measures; establishing critical limits, monitoring procedures, corrective actions, and verification procedures; monitoring inventories.
- Meets quality assurance financial objectives by estimating requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing scrap, rework and warranty variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Supports new product development (NPD) by leading the production part approval process (PPAP) elements inside Vollrath’s gated development process.
- Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including external customer complaints, failed internal processes, scrap, rework, warranty, recalls, corrective actions, etc.
- Updates job knowledge by studying trends in and developments in quality management; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- This position reports to the Vice President of Manufacturing.
- Proven track record of strong leadership and managerial skills. Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management and outside sources. Must be able to effectively delegate and work collaboratively with other functional departments.
- 4 year college degree in engineering, business, or materials management (required) with professional quality certification(s) preferred.
- Structured problem solving certification (e.g. Six-sigma black belt, Shainin Master) preferred.
- Five years (minimum) experience in a manufacturing environment with a blended experience base in quality/supplier quality, production, engineering, and materials planning assignments.
- One to three years (minimum) of experience directly managing people.
- Strong background in lean manufacturing. A passion and ability to truly engage people at all levels of an organization. A balanced focus between processes and systems as well as achieving results.
- Subject matter expert level of knowledge of Quality Management Systems (QMS) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP).
- Established track record of success in leading communication with external customers.
- Expert level of knowledge of ERP/MRP systems (JD Edwards preferred).
- Expert level of knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Excel pivot tables, and data analysis software such as mini-tab.