Continuous Improvement Engineer
We are seeking a Continuous Improvement Engineer. This individual is self-motivated with a sense of urgency to lead continuous improvement activities for operations. They will work collaboratively with the rest of the organization to achieve the overall business objectives. The CI Engineer will make data-driven decisions and utilize critical thinking including risk/reward trade-offs.
- Act as a change agent reinforcing a continuous improvement culture based on data driven gap analyses and employee involvement.
- Support team approaches to solving problems, maintaining positive and productive relations with the hourly workforce, union leadership, plant management team, and corporate representatives.
- Identify areas in the business where profit improvement can be achieved and lead activities to realize said improvements.
- Schedule and lead lean process workshops in accordance with the organization’s lean implementation plan (Standard Work, 6S, Value Stream Mapping, DMAIC Problem Solving, Kaizen, Lot Sizing, Level Scheduling and Pull Principles).
- Drive the implementation of lean manufacturing tools and techniques along with leading continual improvement project teams to task completion.
- Lead training programs in lean concepts.
- Lead and/or participate in problem solving projects using structured problem solving methodologies.
- Recommend and implement Key Process Indicators (KPI’s) that will be maintained at the workstation or cell on the factory floor that makes performance and continuous improvement actions clearly visible to all in the organization.
- Develop solutions that leverage best practices from other Vollrath facilities and other industries to bring consistency across all operations.
- Provide timely feedback, conduct performance reviews, create and execute development plans, etc.
- Proven track record of strong leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management.
- Must be able to effectively delegate and work collaboratively with other functional departments.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (preferably Mechanical or Industrial Engineering), Operations Management or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a manufacturing environment with a blended experience base in production, engineering, planning, and/or quality assignments.
- Minimum of (3) years of experience leading continuous improvement efforts.
- Strong background in lean manufacturing. A passion and ability to truly engage people at all levels of an organization. A balanced focus between processes and systems as well as achieving results. An understanding of fundamental lean principles such as standard work creation and use, value stream mapping, 6S, kaizen events, etc.
- Possess an understanding of NPD processes and operational deliverables.
- Proficient knowledge of ERP/MRP systems (JD Edwards preferred).
- Experience working in a union environment (preferred).
- Previous experience in metal and metal forming industry (preferred).